On 4th March 2013, David was awarded Germany’s only federal decoration, the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (Verdienstorden der Bundesrepublik Deutschland), in recognition of his 50 years of outstanding, pioneering academic work, particularly on the GDR, and his practical work in the field of reconciliation and friendship between Germany and the United Kingdom. The Cross of the German Order of Merit was presented at the German Embassy in London by Geog Boomgaarden, the German Ambassador, on behalf of the German President, Joachim Gauck.
See also University of Nottingham’s blog. Click here
- Founder member of the Association for the Study of German Politics since 1974; member of the executive, 1981–91; Chair, 1981–86; Secretary, 1986–88; founder/editor of journal, 1988–92.
- Member of British-German Association, member of executive 1987–97.
- Member of the European Movement and regular speaker since 1975.
- Member of Nottingham University Committee, 1994-8.
- Elected Fellow of Royal Society of Arts 1990.
- Director of the Institute of German, Austrian and Swiss Affairs at the University of Nottingham, 1985–92.
- Founder and Chairman of the Notts European Movement, 2017-21.